This building, one of the most luxurious of Barcelona, was commissioned by Eusebi Güell i Bacigalupi (Count of Güell) to Antoni Gaudi who started the project around 1880 and signed it in 1886.
This palace that gets up close to the Ramblas.
The family Güell lived in this house from 1888, some of the receptions and other protocol activities of the 1888 Universal Exhibition in Barcelona, taking place in its living rooms.
The palace was the Güell residence, although the center of the city has left transferring during these years to the Passeig de Gracia and the new urban areas, until in 1910 the count abandons the building to live in a house he acquired inside the enclosure of the Park Guëll in the high part of Barcelona, project that Gaudí also carried out for him at that time.
The Palau Güell was declared by the UNESCO a Human Heritage in the year 1986.
This palace residence of the Güell family, was built with the biggest quality materials, basically in stone recovered with marble and decorated with the most delicate furniture and artistic objects. The exterior shows a main facade with a very sober aspect, built in stone of clear gray color coming from the count’s quarries in Garraf – to about 30 kilometers from the south of Barcelona -. Their two doors located in the center – with the owner initials E and G in wrought iron in their superior part – they also present among them a shield of Catalonia in wrought iron. The interior surprises for it splendid decoration with lots of elements of luxurious aspect reflecting the good taste and the architect’s originality at the same time – Gaudí designed diverse elements of the furniture, the illumination and the windows – and the building owners, even in a time with a much more pompous aesthetics that the considered acceptable today. The luxurious decoration includes marble columns, roofs covered with beautiful wood, furniture and marquetry. The most interesting piece is the surprising central living room crowned by a parabolic dome surpassing the roof in conic form. The ceiling of that lounge is perforated by circles that, under the daylight, give it, from the interior, a planetarium appearance. We also find in this room a small chapel embedded in the wall and a numberless of ornamental elements. The whole building is organized around this central piece.
The roof with its chimneys and conical vents remembering small fir trees, probably represents one of the first sketches – but already the work of a great master .